January 20, 2012

Meatless

Sådärja. Vad är väl en resa till land långt borta utan matförgiftning?

For the last couple of days I've been grounded with food poisoning. There is probably nothing that makes you feel so small on earth and lying in horizontal position 48 hours raving, in and out of sleep, dizziness and fever.  

Ok, not in Nairobi, not merely as comfortable now, but still - passed out.
Now, the epidemiologist in me is awakening, trying to figure out what exactly made me sick. I wanted to create a disease outbreak report with nice spreadsheets and graphs, but I really no other cases to compare with. It would be a terribly biased incidence rate with one case in one person. I am also not very eager so investigate different kinds of food for the source.The last food I had was shared with my hosts Cissi and Kha who did NOT get infected. Still, I don't think I will have Indian food in quite some time...

So, I think I will stick to my original theory. During our breakfast fika (Swedish useful expression for coffe+something to eat) at work, I wanted to try something new. My eyes gazed an innocent little samosa just waiting to be eaten. In my experience, samosas tend to be vegetarian. This one wasn't. It took me 2 bites to realize that it consisted of tiny tiny pieces of minced meat. Being surrounded by meat-eating colleagues, I had to quickly forget my instant urge to spit it out and out of pure politeness eat it all. 

Innocent little devil.

This was the first meat I had in five years. And no - pappa (dad) - it did not make me thirst for more. Although this happened over a week ago (which makes the incubation period too long), every cell in my body wants the poisoning to be attributed to my meat-slip.

Besides exploring each part of my bedroom roof from different angles, I have been thinking a lot about going back to school next week. I can not say that I am terribly exited, but in a way I am looking forward to getting back into the game. I will probably regret saying that once back in the loop of the study-sick-cycle, but hey - tänka positivt. Alltid.

No comments:

Post a Comment