September 5, 2011

Nörd, nördare, nördast



The more time I spend at Hopkins, the more I discover that I am a huge nerd. This conclution derives from expressing the following nerd-symptoms:

  • In biostatistics, I got goosebumps reuniting with my T-83 caculator after spending more or less 10 years apart.

The fact that I don't even remember how to do a log10 calculation makes little difference. It's back.
  • I powerwalk listening to mp3 recordnings of my course in Reproductive Biology. The professor introduces approximately 1785 new vocabulary each lecture which I try to memorize saying it out loud ( = people passing by me are exposed to words such as "erectile dysfunction" and "estrogen receptors".
  • Having discovered Khan Academy (www.khanacademy.org), I can't stop watching this guy drawing scientific stuff on a blackboard.

  • Youtube. No need to say more. Everything and beyond can be found there. Like this video about HIV replication and anti retroviral treatments (please notice the sound effects!). I am amazed how I have managed working with HIV prevention for the last 5 years without knowing about different co-receptors, delta-32 mutations, and advanced DNA structures. 


  •  I find myself making advanced excel spread sheets to organize and plan coursework. All in different colors, of course. And then compare it to even more advanced ones made by my brilliant classmates. 

  • I started using flashcards for studying. And bring them to the gym...
  • I want to by a sweatshirt that says "Hopkins".
  • I already bought one keychain and two folders that says "Hopkins"...
  • My organization of documents into different folders have gotten out of hand and resulted in that I no longer know where to find what.

Now that I confessed all that, I also want to point out that I do have a life. Next weekend I am visiting Gus in new Orleans! And have promised not to bring any books.

I wish this was the boat Gus is working on.




1 comment:

  1. Kul att du har intresse av kombinatorik, det håller hjärnan igång.

    Kram

    Owe

    ReplyDelete