January 15, 2012

Sheep love


 I just came back from spending half a day hiking up Mt Longonot outside of Nairobi. It was interesting, in many ways.
Approaching the volcano Mt Longonot

It started with my driver arriving one hour too late. We then drove 7 minutes on the high way and 'suddenly' got out of gas. Turns out that gas was not only out in our car, but at every gas station nearby. Many, many minutes later, we were finally rescued by a guy on a moped giving us some fuel. Apparently, it was 'bad stuff' that might make the car collapse, but hey - why not try?

Standing on the crater and gazing the peak.
Anyway, we made it. I then realized that the all-day guided excursion group tour that I had booked consisted of a group of one person: me. And a ranger who had walked up and down the mountain each day for two years. Me, on the other than, felt terribly fit having drunken wine at a house party last night. Joe, the ranger did his best to entertain me and inquire about my life. 
Ranger: How you can be married? You are SO SO SO young. And very good body, for climbing mountains.
Me: (trying to hide my joy of being thought of as looking so so so young, trying to ignore the climbing-comment as I can hardly breath in the steep passage we're in)
I am actually past 28.
Ranger: But how is possible. Is no possible. I know, because mzungos *local description of 'whites'* are always very old, very old, when they get married. Very old.
Me: .... I kind of thought I was old....
Ranger: So, what your family get from your man?
Me: ??
Ranger: You know. I got married, I paid to family of my wife, many goats and sheep. And some honey.
Me: They got a surprise. A son in law.

Where are the goats and sheep?

1 comment:

  1. Tävlar Gustav och du just nu i att hitta på de mest vådliga äventyren??! Undrar Svärmor

    ReplyDelete