September 17, 2011

Old(er), Cold(er)



Baltimore is getting cold. Compared to summer, that is. Yesterday I wore boots for the first time since I came here and actually didn't sweat. Following the cold, comes another cold: the flue. I am currently in bed hallucinating about biostatistics (midterms next week, perfect timing as ever). 

As much as I would love to blame the weather for my inconvient situation, I have to confess that my lifestyle the last weeks (months?) might have something to do with it. 

Introducing the study-holiday-more study-sick-cycle as an explanation:

Somewhere in the middle: sick, sicker, sickest. Copyright: Anna Larsson

Either way, I couldn't be happier that I decided to take a break and go and visit Gus in New Orleans last weekend. Not only did I get to live married life again, but experience the most amazing city.  In his blog, Gus did a great job decribing New Orleans and how the city is starting to recover (smooth indicator that you should visit his blog if you want a more elaborated discription). 





We were fortunate enought to have two awesome hosts - Bill and Gail - who made sure we got to eat everything from greasy traditional Lousiana food to crabs, go on aligator safari and not swimming in the Mississippi river (apparently that will kill you). 

Swamp. This used to be water, but due to Katrina bringing fertilizers, everything is closing up.

Check the left corner. No, it's not a log (stock).

We also did some exploring on our own. Like every other tourist in NO, we ended up on Burbon street (a.k.a crazyness street, a.k.a party street). All of a sudden we had huge drinks with 57% alcohol in our hands at 4 pm in the afternoon. 




This made us randomly decide on getting thai massages from a hole-in-the-wall place after being lured in there with "free massage samples" and then persuaded to stay (the girl massaging me held a firm grip of both my hands and feets - not much choice, really). The best experience was going back home on the "tram" - a streetcar with electric sparks flying everytime the driver shifted gear.

It looks so cute and innocent. It's not.
It was a fantastic weekend. Then, suddenly, it was over and I was old(er). We celebrated the fact that I am now 28 grown up years with banana pancaces and shopping rubber boots for the upcoming rainy winter in Baltimore. Back home, Kristin picked me up at the airport with homemade cupcakes in the car. A few drinks later with friends and my age-paranoia was long gone. At least until next year. Back to study cycle!

Older(er) surrounded by even older, matching, colorful, men.


1 comment:

  1. Jag gillar verkligen ditt hamster jul (aka study-holiday-more study-sick-cycle)! Jag ska genast sätta en käpp i det när jag kommer hem.

    ReplyDelete