July 4, 2011

Independence day vs frog dance


Today I am going to celebrate my very first 4th of July. Independence Day. I can't help it but think of aliens due to the 90's movie starring Will Smith & co (I think I saw it at least 17 times when I was 14). But so far, not a single alien in sight - just tons and tons of food, drinks and American flags.

On Friday it was Canada Day. We have a few Canadians and a few (about 150 or so) more Americans. I feel a patriot war going on.

Drawing made by Canadians and Americans in class, showing the simularities between their states. Somewhere inbetween Texas and British Colombia it got out of hand. (Oh, and the small triangle down in the left corner is Equador)

The American patriotism really fascinates me. Where else in the world is it possible to find people more frankly conviced that their country is actually THE greatest in the world? I guess the independence factor has something to do with it.

In Sweden it is almost a sin to celebrate our nation (unless it comes to sports and midsommar) in the open. But then again, we have no "real" reason to celebrate independence. We have a Sweden Day on June 6th, but no one seem to know why. Apparently it has something to do with the ancient king Gustav Vasa's coronation and a new governmental reform a few hundered years later.

The guy we "celebrate" on Sweden Day.

So, I guess it makes sense that Swedes don't jump up and down of exitement on June 6th. But hey, we have midsommar! Then at least we get to jump like frogs.

2 comments:

  1. Helt enkelt underbart beskrivet :-) kram Pappa

    ReplyDelete
  2. håller helt med, du skriver jätte bra anna, så roligt att läsa, fortsätt! saknar dig, kram

    ReplyDelete