June 18, 2011

So close but yet so far



Yesterday I was stuck at N.Y. Newark airport for no more then 12 hours (please notice the fact that Baltimore is 45 minutes away by flight - I was practically at destination).  Apparently there was a HUGE storm along the eastcoast which caused cancellation and delay of a zillion planes. This experience made me realize three things:

1. How much I hate being left in the dark without information (will never fly Continental airlines again).

2. How much I love how Americans dare talking to strangers
They actually TALK to each other while waiting in line - a rarity in Sweden. I ended up having a 6 hour "fika" (coffe) with a girl who suprisingly enough studied Swedish on her spare time in DC (probably the only reason why I managed to stay consious).

3. How much I appreciate hospitality when least expected.
When we finally landed in D.C at 1 am in the morning I was picked up at the airport by my temporary host in Baltimore, Ross. We have friends in common but had never actually met before. But still he offered to pick me up and then waited persistently for the flight to arrive. I said I will owe him forever. Not really sure what that means though and how I am going to pay off. So, I started with guiding him around IKEA and buying him Swedish meatballs. Figured it might account for at least 4 % of the debt.

No comments:

Post a Comment